![]() |
| To be content: desiring no more than one has |
Plunging into the dictionary I found the following definitions:
"the acknowledgement and satisfaction of reaching capacity"
"in a state of peaceful happiness"
"a state of satisfaction"
"desiring no more than what one has"
Oh crap I think looking at those definitions, I don't think I have ever been "content". Even my theme for the run up to 40 reeks of discontent. I am "to do 40 new things by the time I am 40": so rather than make a list of everything I have achieved, I want to discount that and do new things! I want to punch myself.
So by doing this, it occurs to me that I must feel that I am missing something or maybe trying to fill an emptiness in me or avoid a fear. If this is the case then I am definitely missing out on what is right in front of me?
SO, now is the time to write my list of things that I have that make me smile and think "ahhhh, life is good":
- A wonderful (soon to be) 10 year old niece
- A loving and close family
- My own home
- Independence
- A rather wonderful man who I j'adore and who I am pretty sure j'adores me
- Amazing friends who are there through the laughter and the tears (sometimes the tears of laughter)
- I have seen the world
- I love my job
- I have my health
- An AMAZING shoe collection
- And you know the sun, the stars, nature, blue skies....
And then I read in a book by Pema Chodron of a meeting she had with a Native American who was in New York to deliver a series of lectures. She was surprised that he seemed so at ease in such a busy city and asked him how he achieved this. His answer was simple:
"my life has taught me to be more curious than afraid"
Phew! I am like that Native American, I "more curious". It is not discontentment that drives me but an innate curiosity about life and what it holds and what can be discovered. Hoooray!*
*curiosity/nosey - same thing... :)

No comments:
Post a Comment